Cake decorating How to - Rainbow petal cake

11:49


Last week it was my turn to make the monthly cake to be raffled off at my sons pre school, I knew I would make a plain sponge cake sandwiched with buttercream but I just couldn't decide how to decorate it!

The theme of the week was colours so I decided to cover the cake with rainbow frosting.
I had seen in a cake magazine I was given a multi-coloured 'petal' design which looked quite simple so I set out to achieve just that!

Here is how I went about it.......

* I filled a 8" vanilla sponge cake with buttercream and crumb coated it (thin layer of buttercream) then put it in the fridge to chill whist I organised my icing!

* I then separated my buttercream into four bowls and added the colours I wanted. I use the Sugarflair paste colours you only need a tiny amount of them to colour buttercream or fondant so it lasts a long time. The colours I used were Baby Blue, Christmas Red, Spruce Green & Egg Yellow. I tinted each bowl of buttercream and added them to icing bags.

*TOP TIP* Place your icing bags into glasses - definitely creates less mess!


Now onto the decorating part!

* Working vertically make a dot of each colour onto the cake.

* Take a teaspoon and drag the dot either to left or right, be sure to clean the spoon after dragging each coloured dot so as not to mix the colours.

                                                         


*Cover the whole of the cake and then chill in the fridge for at least 10 minutes or until the buttercream has hardened a little.

*Once the cake has been chilled continue the dots on the top of the cake working in a circle and dragging the dots inwards.




And then you'll have your finished Rainbow petal design cake.



                           I had a fab time decorating this cake, let me know if you give it a try! 
                                                                
                                                                   Lucy

 
  
 
 
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Press

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100